Saturday, November 12, 2016

The Flawed Chosen of God: My Political Evolution in the 2016 Election

I was once the Grinch.

Politically speaking, I mean.

I was well-intentioned. I really was. However, I put so much stock into one candidate that I was letting his loss take me down a path to bitterness.

Let me explain.

When the primary season for the presidential election of 2016 began, I was all in favor of Ted Cruz. He was the candidate for those of us who loved the Constitution-driven ideals and persuasive abilities of Ronald Reagan. He may not have had the looks, but boy, he could argue and persuade the voters with whom he was in contact. We even saw that in the YouTube video that surfaced of him changing the mind of a farmer (and Trump supporter) in Iowa shortly before their caucuses.

If this wasn’t our man, no one was.

When Trump announced his candidacy, I, like many conservatives, thought it was fun but didn’t think it would last. I mean, the core of what Trump was saying was true; we needed to address illegal immigration, Obamacare needed to be repealed, etc. But he had such a coarse way of saying it and a sordid history that most didn’t think he had traction. And when he continued to grow in popularity and his policies (or lack thereof, I thought) came up to the surface, I thought that it would not last. “Trump is just a flash in the pan; Cruz is the representative of the movement,” I told myself and others. The liberals and the media weren’t scared of Trump, I thought. They were of Cruz. Even that video of Jimmy Carter talking about how Cruz was more dangerous proved it. In the debates, Trump was entertaining, but a boar. Nobody would take him seriously.

The rumblings continued, though. By January, before the first primaries, I was a little concerned, but hopeful. Everyone was talking about Trump, but there was no way he could win. When Cruz won Iowa in February, I knew we had this in the bag. Later, when Trump won New Hampshire, I thought that is just New Hampshire. Iowa was more of a representative of America and the Republicans would never fully give into Trump.

Boy, was I wrong. And I was slowly becoming heartbroken with my country and political party. How could such an idiotic, narcissistic, bully of a human being ever gain in so much popularity? What in the world led to this degradation of our standards of human decency?

But it continued. I watched as Trump mocked everyone who opposed him. How he personally tweeted an insult of Cruz’s wife, even after the meme he was responding to was revealed to be published by a group not affiliated with the Cruz camp. How he didn’t quickly shun the endorsement of David Duke. How he ridiculously propagated a hack tabloid story on Cruz’s father being involved in the assassination of JFK. But I held out hope that somehow this clown would not be our choice. And every once in a while Cruz would win a state, like Wisconsin, and keep that flame of hope going.

Then Cruz lost Indiana. And bowed out of the race.

I was finished with the Republican Party. I sat down and wrote a scathing blog post (which I didn't finish and posted partially month's later--see below post) denouncing the GOP as an immoral institution only focused on the economy. Gone was the party of the moral compass of its pro-life stance. Gone was the party of opposition to federally-forced gay marriage. All was lost, I thought. There was no way Trump could beat Hillary. Even as I write this, I am flashing back to those feelings of indignation.

When Trump came to my state and insulted my governor, I was appalled—and even tweeted directly at Trump. And even though my primary vote would not matter, I still voted for Cruz. I planned to change my party affiliation to independent after the primary, and there was no way I would vote for Trump in the general election. I wouldn’t vote for Hillary, but Trump was out of the question.

This state of indignation and bitterness lasted for several weeks. I argued with people about Trump, even arguing with my grandfather in several cases. Every little instance of political talk always turned to Trump and my hatred for him. It was a time of friendless self-injury.

I eventually realized how dogmatic I had become and didn’t know what else to do besides just give up on the election and changing my focus to something else. I even got off Twitter to escape it. I tried to focus on everyday life.

During this time, for some reason, I started listening (then watching) to the Andrew Klavan Show regularly. I had enjoyed his previous commentary videos on PJTV and other things he put out (particularly the “I’m Angry, so I’m Voting for Donald Trump” video). I saw his frustration with Trump, but also his way of putting a humorous spin on it and I began to make listening to it a regular occurrence. I then subscribed to the Daily Wire so that I could watch the full podcasts, as I also found his tastes in literature and culture similar to mine.

To be able to see another human being angered about what we thought was the downfall of the Republican Party, but yet still see that person treat that downfall as a comedy, slowly changed my perspective on humanity. Andrew had this Shakespearean way of finding the humor even in tragedy that slowly opened my eyes. I began to see that life is more complex than what many times we make it out to be. When it comes to humanity, it isn’t always the good against the bad. Good people aren’t always the right people, and bad people aren’t always the wrong people.

Around the time of the national conventions, I went to visit my grandparents in Florida. My grandfather, an ardent Trump supporter, and I stayed up late to watch Hillary Clinton’s acceptance speech. As we watched, both Granddad and I had the same repulsed reaction to her obvious lies, corruption, and pandering. I realized I felt a kinship to my grandfather that I would not have felt before, knowing he was a Trump supporter.

When Andrew Klavan came out and stated he planned on voting for Trump just to attempt to escape the freedom-eroding Hillary presidency, I accepted his decision. By this time, I didn’t see anyone who supported Trump as a mindless idiot who was brainwashed by simple rhetoric (which, I sometimes still have trouble not seeing Sean Hannity as). However, when it came time for me to vote (I voted early the week before the election), I still struggled with an uneasiness of mind. I knew I would probably end up voting for Trump for the same reason as Andrew, but I went back and forth in my mind between Trump and Evan McMullin. I knew, however, that the latter wouldn’t win and had grown to distaste his self-righteous soft stances. Eventually, after I filled out all the other questions on the ballot, I went back, and with a clench of my stomach, voted for Trump.

Even though I knew that God would not fault me for doing what I thought was right at the time, for the rest of the day, I still struggled with feelings that I betrayed my conscious and merely did the politically expedient.

However, by the weekend before the election, I knew I had done the right thing. The thought of a Hillary presidency scared the indecision out of me. And the closer we got to Tuesday, the more kinship I felt with the rest of America. Who knows if we were about to win, but we were doing the right thing. The smug media thought that Hillary would (and should) win, so I know I had done the right thing. The liberals on the far ends of the country were out of touch with the everyday concerns of the working class, so I knew they had to be stopped. I spent the night before the election playing Jason Aldean’s “Flyover States” over and over again.

The morning of the election, I drove to morning prayer, then work, noting a hint of change in the air. It was here I fully understood Trump’s appeal; we were on the verge of possibly putting our country back on course, of possibly sticking it to the elite who were trying to run our lives, but ruining them in the process. It was today when the jobless coal-miners in Rust Belt and the over-regulated farmers down here on the southern plains were about to have their say. Sweet Freedom filled the air.

That evening after work, I went to my parent’s house to watch the election coverage (and eat some good brisket). There was a great mood of excitement. This could be the night. And as the night went on, Trump kept his lead. I was hopeful, but reticent. He was winning all the Southern states, but we had to wait until the Midwestern states came in, and, of course, the Western states would go to Hillary.

When it became apparent Florida would go to Trump, my mind began to change. First Florida, then Ohio, then North Carolina, then Wisconsin. Michigan was even putting up a fight. The Blue Wall was toppling like the walls of Jericho before the people of Israel. It was apparent that this night would not be as easy for Hillary as was first thought.

I was invited to another viewing party at a friend’s house. It was when I was here that we saw Pennsylvania flip to red. Even though we had a few more hours of grueling torture to see who would win the state, it was that point that I knew it was over for Hillary.

And now, looking back, it seems that I was ridiculous to fight the rise of Trump after he was the nominee. I remember when I was arguing with my granddad about Trump’s trade policies, he told me, “The people whom it affects want it. The people with jobs who don’t rely on local industry don’t care.” I was blind to what he was saying at the time, stuck in the ideology of politics, but not the practicality. What he said now makes sense. Donald Trump, even with all his failings, is the everyman’s candidate. He is Joe the Plumber’s, Mike the Dairyman’s, Frank the Coal-miner’s choice. He was able to do what the Republican Party has not been able to do for the last few decades: reach the working class.

And I was too blind with self-righteousness to see it at first.

After the election, my pastor made an analogy of Jehu ridding Israel of the wicked Jezebel; Jehu was not the most righteous of men (and was even judged by God later on in life), but he was God’s chosen implement to bring about the end of unrighteousness in Israel. Yes, Trump has the responsibility to stay true to what he has promised and be an honorable president. No, he cannot act the way he did before without major ramifications. But he was God’s implement to cut short the destruction and judgment on our nation.

Do I think that America is free from this scourge of elitism and arrogant secularism? No, of course not. We have a major fight on our hands. But we have been given a chance to repent and turn this country around. The binds of political correctness and self-hatred have been lifted off the backs of the American people. This great nation’s citizens can once again breathe easy.

It is Morning in America again.

And I have learned the lesson of a lifetime in the process.


-->
“But God chose the foolish things of the world to shame the wise; God chose the weak things of the world to shame the strong.” -1 Corinthians 1:27

No comments: